Friday, June 18, 2010

"We are the champions"... or not, whatever

I consider myself a big Red Sox fan, and have strong sense of pride for any Boston/New England sports teams. I find it to be a privilege to have grown up in a state that had such a big sports influence and bring home championships left and right. I enjoy watching sports, but its also not something I'll do when I'm just sitting home alone. If I'm somewhere and "the game" is on or I'm hanging out with guy friends, watching sports does not bother me one bit, but when home alone, I will choose the Real Housewives of New York or any other girly reality show over a sports event any day.

Between the World Cup and the NBA finals my Facebook newsfeed has been flooded with posts about sports and to be honest, I've been completely disgusted. After the Celtics lost last night and I couldn't even go on Facebook. Yes, I was sad that they lost but I said to myself, "oh well, we'll get them next year" and moved on with my life. I guess not everyone else had the same reaction. Half of my newsfeed was friends from MA, complaining about the refs and saying it wasn't a fair game. The other half was bitter Orlando Magic fans that jumped on the Laker's bandwagon, just to cheer for anyone that would play the Celtics. And then today, my newsfeed has been completely flood with comments about the soccer games.

I've learned that sports can bring out the worst in people. The horrible and rude comments has almost gotten to the point that I'm disgusted. There is a difference in having pride for your team and taking it too far.

Life is short and stressful, and after recent events in my life, I've learned that somethings are just not worth getting stressed over. For me, a losing game or a bad ref call is not something worth getting my panties all up in a bunch about.

No comments:

Post a Comment