Friday, June 4, 2010

"Everytime I hear that song, I go back"

In Kenny Chesney's "I Go Back" there is a line that goes, "We all have a song that somehow stamped our lives. Takes us to another place in time." Going through my iPod today, I stumbled upon songs that I haven't listened to in months, maybe in years. Not only do songs stamp our lives, but I have connections between songs and people.

Poison Oak by Bright Eyes: I had a friend in high school named Paul. He was eccentric, outgoing, judged, yet loved by many. I can connect artists like Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, and Hellogoodbye to rides in my best friends white Jeep, with Sam and Paul, driving through the back roads of Cape Cod. As we all went to different colleges, we tended to grow apart from Paul. He joined the army and was killed in combat almost 2 years ago. Although I will never get to see him again, I can vividly picture our care free days whenever I hear these songs

Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk: A shy young girl, with a passion for dance beyond her years. I was paired to do a trio to this song with 2 older girls from my dance studio. We performed this dance at many competitions and shined each time. I had never been more in love with dance than the times I performed this on stage, and I can still feel my body mimic the steps when I hear this song.

Desperado by the Eagles-: My first love was in high school with a boy named Garrett. It was a relationship far too complicated for 17 year old kids, and the long distance between us became too much. He had a voice that made me melt and I used to make him sing to me over the phone when we couldn't be together. I know he did it half a dozen time but this is the only song that stands out in my mind.

I could fill a book with things like this if I went through my whole iPod. Whether its a word someone said while a song was in the background or that I can tell you exactly what episode of One Tree Hill that plays that song. Music has shaped my life in many different way, and this is an appreciation that I hope to someday pass along to my children

No comments:

Post a Comment