Friday, May 14, 2010

Part 2 of Major Life Changes

When my roommates or I have to vent or talk about life, or even just talk, we always sit on the kitchen counters. Dane Cook once stated that "something about the kitchen is medicinal" so maybe that's why we always end up there, but I had one of my biggest life epiphanies sitting on that counter. I realized that I never wanted to be a Speech Therapist. But now the issue was, what did I want to be.

Still sitting on the counter I made the probably not so politically correct comment of "I just want to work with little disabled kids all day." I realized I wanted to be a special needs teacher. Its something that I've been exposed to many different situations, but I was definitely out of practice with. I knew that with re-exposure, I would fall back into loving how I would shape and better both their and their parents' lives. I quickly jumped onto my computer to look up the information in the college course catalog, and introduced the idea to my parents that same night. Luckily, I have extremely supportive parents that knew how miserable I had been and backed my decision.

The next day, I went to an advisor in the education department and she helped me plan out the next 2 years of my life. YES, 2 more years of college. I was 6 months away from being done and I decided to tack on an extra year and half. I weighed the pros and cons and that time would be worth it. I'd be graduating with a major and a minor that would be extremely marketable in the field, and I have been told that I will be able to find a job whenever and wherever I want. And there is a very good possibility that those extra years in school will be almost or completely paid for by the University because it is a high need education field.

I pushed myself through the last few weeks of Communication Disorder classes, got mediocre grades, and I am now preparing myself for my first semester of education courses. I haven't been excited about school in 3 years and I can't wait to start my new classes.

Life this past year has been quite the rollercoaster, but I finally feel like I'm landing on flat ground. I knew I wasn't the happiest person, but you don't realize how unhappy you were, until you are truly happy again. I sorted out all of the things that were complicating life and can finally see a positive outlook on things to come.

So now that things are looking brighter, hopefully I can bring some new entertaining insights into this blog and ditch the life dampering ones for a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment